Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sophie's Latest

Sophie is known for her sassy-ness....which we've come to adore. But how can you not love a face like that? Here are some of her latest. She is too smart for her own britches.

#1
I was in my bedroom talking with my sister on the phone, and Sophie comes in to my room looking alot like Curious George (which has me a little concerned). She finds something in my room and starts to sliding it across my floor and out of my room......

Me: "Sophie, that is mommy's could you please bring it back into my bedroom?"
Sophie: "Uh-Uh"
Me: "Sophie, please listen to mommy. I don't like when you take things out of my room, then mommy has a hard time finding it again. Can you bring it back please?"
Sophie: (still walking away) "Uh-Uh"
**Walking over to Sophie now.
Me: "Sophie please bring it back to mommy's room, or you may go to time out."
Sophie: "Uh-Uh"
Me: "Okay Sophie, please come and sit on this chair. You are in time-out because mommy asked you listen and you didn't. You just told mommy NO!"
Sophie: "NO I DIDN'T"
Me: "Yes you did. You told mommy NO."
Sophie: "NO I DIDN'T"
Me: "Sophie, when mommy asked you to bring it back you said, Uh-Uh"
Sophie: "I KNOW MOM! I SAID UH-UH, I DIDN'T say NO!"

I hear my sister laughing through the phone saying, "stay strong, Kristin, stay strong." I had to walk away before she saw me start to laugh.

#2
Yesterday Rylee comes upstairs crying and tells me....
"You know Sophie's long nails? Well she took them and pinched me with them, RIGHT HERE!"
(In my head, "Ugh, does this ever end?")
"Rylee, please tell your sister to come upstairs"

Downstairs I hear the following conversation:
Ry:
"Sophie, mom needs you upstairs."
Soph: "No she doesn't"
Ry: "Yes, she does."
Soph: "No she doesn't"
Ry: "Yes, she does."
Soph: "No she doesn't"
Mom: "Sophie, please come upstairs."
Sophie: "Huh!" (sounding nervous)
Sophie to Rylee: "Am I going to go to time out?"
Rylee: "I don't know, probably, yeah. You don't pinch."
Sophie: "But I don't want to go to time out. I don't like time out."

Sophie finally comes upstairs....
Me: "Why is Rylee so sad?"
Sophie: Looking a little reluctant...."Maybe because I pinched her?"
Me: "Sophie, do we pinch?"
Sophie: "No."
Me: "I need you to go to time out please."
Sophie: "NO, I don't like time out."
Me: "Well, then don't pinch people."
Me, standing up and helping her go to time out.
Sophie: "UGH!!! I DON'T WANT TO BE IN THIS FAMILY!"
Me: "Sophie, sit down."

PLEASE tell me that I'm not the only one who hears these things....Does anyone else have stories to share with me so I don't feel like such a horrible mother?!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Classic...we had the same episode on Sunday. Tyler said "I don't want to be in this family." I called his bluff, "Alright, Ty Where you gonna go?"
Ty: "I don't know but I am leaving." walks out the front door in bare feet.

I wait a few minutes (thinking he's just hanging out in the front yard) and realize he's calling mine. I jump in the car, find him block away, talking to my neighbor, explaining the whole ordeal. So embarrassed and yet so relieved he was safe. Kids!

Steve and Melessa said...

Oh, Sophie. Anna once told me she wants to live with you!

I put Isabelle in time out yesterday. I have to put her on her bed and lock the door because she won't stay sitting anywhere else. I put her on her bed and she was climbing down before I reached the door. By the time I got it shut, she was already banging on it with more strength than a 3-year-old should have and WAILING, "I'm all done, Mommy!!! I'm all done!" Anna, of coarse, was laughing!

Katie said...

Ok, when you told me that first story on the phone I was DYING, but reading that 2nd one had me laughing so hard!! YOU are NOT a bad mother, QUITE the opposite actually...you are WAY more patient than I am!! You just gotta STAY patient with Soph..she is going to push your buttons..until she has kids of her own! :) Hehe, good luck and keep the updates coming, love reading them!

Amanda and Brandon Jamison said...

So, I stalk your blog through Karlee's, and I just have to say this is probably one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time! Your Kids are adorable, and Sophie's little sassiness is adorable too!

Karlee said...

You HAVE to LOVE that girl!! Like I said, STAY STRONG!!! How can you parent when a child is that hilarious?!?! I guess I'll find out when my own kids start pushing MY buttons! But you just gotta love little Soph!! She's the sweetest thing EVER and pretty HILARIOUS too! I think I've come back to read this 5 times already!

Abby said...

Oh we live that daily! Grace is quite sassy and seems to sit in time out at least once a day. We finally had to move time out to the stairs bc she would end up getting into more trouble anywhere else. She hates the stairs so it works perfectly. All I can say is I take MANY deep breaths and say many prayers throughout the day to help me. lol Grace is really quite loving but really needs to work on not being so sassy. I feel ya girl!

theolsonfamily said...

Don't feel like a bad mother, I think everyone has these moments. Charlie told me I "wrecked his day" yesterday , and then when I was putting Mamie to bed i told her i loved her and she told me, " don't tell me you love me, I want dad!" I've never felt so loved.

Kari Combe said...

That little girl cracks me up! She is too smart for her on britches! She always says the funniest things and I'm glad you post them because it makes my day reading them! I would have a hard time disciplining my little girl too if she said things like Sophie said...but I would love one just like her! Also, I love that picture of her...B-E-U-T-I-F-U-L!

LeBaron Family said...

I am so glad someone else's kids act like mine! I love it! We want a boy, do you have any tricks on how you got Charlie, I am open to suggestions!! he he he

Mk said...

Sophie's cute enough to say anything and get away with it;)

Your pics are so lovely- What camera are you using?

Laura Campbell said...

Kristin, I loved these stories! I found your blog and realized we both had our first babies 6 days apart from eachother. Funny. All 3of our kids are actually pretty close in age. :-) Such a cute family!