Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Drugged

Charlie had a cavity in between his two front teeth, so in order for the dentist to get in between his teeth, they had to to sedate him.  Keep in mind that this is my VERY FIRST child to EVER have a cavity.

What a weird experience!

They sat him in their little reclining chair and had him drink the medication that would sedate him.  I didn't think it was going to bother me, but after a few minutes his head starting bobbing and he almost fell out of the chair.  So I went over to the chair and put him in my arms.  The next couple of minutes went by really fast.  The drugs really started to kick in and he had an extremely hard time holding any part of his body up by himself.  Tears started coming to my eyes.  He would try to talk to me, but his words were so slurred that I couldn't make out what he was saying at all.

I carried him in to the room where they were going to do the "procedure" and they started strapping his arms and legs down.  He started crying.  They told me this was a normal reaction and that  they would come and get me when they were finished.

WHAT?????

Yes, I had to wait out in the waiting room instead of sitting right by my little man holding his hand (wah)!!

About 30 minutes later, they told me I could come on back---phew!

I went back, paid for the whole process and all of a sudden I hear this little boy crying.  The sweet dental assistant is carrying him (he cannot yet walk, due to the sedation).  I almost starting crying AGAIN, right there in front of everybody.  They told me to keep my eyes on him, keep him upright and that he might be a little whiny and tired (one of the side effects).

So here I am, almost 8 months pregnant, carrying my 35+ pound child out to our car, and I just break down.  Tears are streaming down my face.  Why, you ask?  I have no idea, but they were coming and I found myself hardly able to breath because I was crying so hard.  I'm blaming it on the pregnancy.

We got home, cuddled on the couch, while watching a few of his favorite shows.  He did try to get up once while I went to get a drink of water, and I heard a big THUD followed by crying.  He still couldn't walk.  Sweet little boy.

I did manage to take a few pictures of him and he even gave me a little smile in the last one.

After watching Charlie today, I will have to say how grateful I am for healthy bodies. 

Love you sweet Charlie!


1 comment:

Karlee said...

This just makes me so sad. I NEVER want to go through that and I wish I could have been there to support my 8 month pregnant sister! I can NOT imagine! It brings tears to my eyes reading this post and reliving what you told me! Maybe it was so traumatizing to him he'll brush his teeth EXTRA good now! Next time, make sure Chad is there for moral support!