Monday, March 1, 2010

I'm New At This

I have been blessed with 3 beautiful children. Rylee, 7....Sophie.....5, have been pretty easy to handle (physically). Now emotionally is a different story. However, overall, they are wonderful girls. When they were younger, and as they've grown, they've always played very well independently. They would sit down and read books, play a game, play dolls, do puzzles, play with ponies or stuffed animals, color, paint, do play-doh. The list could go on and on. They were very good at doing those things and doing them in an orderly manner.

Then Heavenly Father blessed me with a very adorable, very active little boy. He LOVES to read books (the same 3 over and over again), but I can't do that ALL day. He'll do puzzles, but we only have 5 that are "age appropriate", and after we finish, he's done. I've tried coloring, but then I find very creative artwork on my table, chairs, and walls (if he finds markers laying around that sisters have left out, then artwork also appears all over his body). I've tried play-doh, but it ends up smashed in the carpet, nose, or in the mouth. And don't even get me started on paint. I've tried to build forts for him, but he'll play in them for all of 5 minutes and then he's finished. He'll just start running around climbing, pulling things out of cupboards, etc. With these cold winter days that we are SO blessed to have 8 months out of the year, most of my days are spent chasing this squeezable toddler around my house so he's not racing to put his hands in the toilet anytime he hears the bathroom doors open, climbing on top of the table numerous times a day, climbing up the pantry shelves trying to get food (which eventually ends up spilled all over the floor), climbing to the highest point of my sofa as if he's a tight rope walker, getting things out of the garbage can, or pushing the garbage can over onto it's side, or going into my fridge and finding the eggs and smashing them while smearing the yolk into my carpet (yes, we have now purchased a fridge lock).

So I guess my question for all of you out there with active little boys is.....

How do you keep them entertained when they are stuck indoors and not sleeping? I am open to any and all suggestions......PLEASE!

And while your brainstorming, I thought I'd share a few pictures for your enjoyment.....
(please excuse my camera and all the blurriness, the lens hasn't been cooperating with me for the past few weeks)
Went to Costco the other day and to burn energy, let Charlie and Sophie, pretty much demolish my paper towels. They had a lot of fun and it kept them busy for about 15 minutes!
Yes, this is a "opened pantry door, climbed up on the shelves and found the pretzels incident."
And this is a "mom forgot to put the fridge lock back on and since I have a sensor in my head, it told me that it was unlocked. So, i went to the fridge and pulled out the strawberries and started eating them incident."

12 comments:

Katie said...

Seriously too cute! I love the picture of him with the strawberry..haha!
BTW, Spencer has been SO Much better about independent play than livi ever was (or even now)...he'll play with his cars and blocks for HOURS...good luck! ;-)

Valerie said...

I feel so bad for you! Charlie was probably meant for Chad's revenge, but it looks like you get left "mopping up the mess" so to speak. I am afraid you won't like my advice. Have another boy so they will play together, although that increases your mess at least they entertain one another! On the bright side, spring is nearly here and outside they go, right?

Chiara said...

The one thing that keeps Macks occupied for hours....and don't judge....I really am a good mom! ;)-

Some little kid scissors with round tips and some paper.....and Wah lah!
My kids started using scissors at about 18 months. Their preschool teachers were always amazed at their mad skills! ;)-

Macks also LOVES duplos!

GOOD LUCK!

I'll be calling you when Marley starts "playing" with things....because I have no idea what to do with a girl.

Kristin and Jay said...

That kinda sounds like mine, but she's a girl!! She won't play by herself ever, she has got to be within reach of me at all times....unless, she's playing with playdough =) Good Luck! Sounds like your days are BUSY =)

Mom said...

Well, Sophie and Charlie DID have A LOT of fun with those paper towels! And he wasn't writing on anything or breaking things or eating something, etc. Ha! My heart goes out to you, my darling daughter! You are a great Mom and so patient! Had a great visit!

Shawni said...

I am so scared for Owen to get to that age. He is already such a destroyer. His persistence almost kills me! Soooo different from Stella who minds so well. Let me know if you figure something out. Does he do any classes (like at The Little Gym or Gymboree)? It is a good thing we think our kids are adorable. Who knows what would happen if we didn't?!?

Karlee said...

I LOVE this boy! That last picture is PRICELESS...it could totally be an ad for a strawberry commercial (do they have those?) He is HILARIOUS (prob not to you) and I LOVE hearing about his craziness! PLEASE come to my house and play!!!

Karlee said...

Just read the comment above mine...he would LOVE the Little Gym!!! Sign him up for that...maybe that would help him socialize with others and not you 24/7 AND he would get his energy out once a week!! PLUS he'd seriously LOVE it!!!! That or just come to my house and let him play forever and EVER!

Karlee said...

You're gonna be bugged when you see that you have more comments only to realize that THREE of them are from me!!! ;)

Ivy & Mae said...

Well...my boys like to jump into the tub from off the toliet yelling canon ball :) I think he needs a brother to play with so you can have the full force of destruction and physical risk when he gets older. Pray for an early spring, that's what I'm doing.

AmyB said...

I did things the opposite way. Boy first, then girls. It's easier I think. I was in for a good surprise when the girls played by themselves, played with pay-doh, colored etc without having to have 100% attention. I am not even sure how I made it through with Austin. Try trains and race tracks. I also would get Austin a new little set of cheap plastic animals every once in a while and he loved them. I was really shocked when my girls played with toys "for real". Austin just always threw them everywhere. But I think they will reverse roles in the teenage years from what I hear. Ahhh...

Amy K said...

CUTE Chuckles!! I'm glad you're a year ahead of me on this. All of these comments are so good. Now, I won't feel so alone when Tyler is destroying everything. THANKS for showing the way!